A persistent high pressure system has been SunFest’s friend this week, bringing sunny skies and warm temperatures to the West Palm Beach waterfront block party.
But it’s about to get really hot. Today’s temperature should reach 85 degrees with light east winds providing some relief. When headliner Train goes on at 8:30 tonight, temperatures will still be near 80 degrees.
On Friday, temperatures will soar to 86 degrees with southerly winds bringing in warm tropical air and increasing humidity.
The heat index Friday will make it feel more like 90 degrees.
The National Weather Service recommends the following things to stay cool:
- Dress for summer. Wear lightweight, loose fitting, light-colored clothing to reflect heat and sunlight.
- Eat light, cool, easy-to-digest foods such as fruit or salads.
- Drink plenty of water (not very cold), non-alcoholic and decaffeinated fluids, even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Use portable fans.
- Minimize direct exposure to the sun. Sunburn reduces your body’s ability to dissipate heat.
- Do not take salt tablets unless specified by a physician.
A cool front moving into Florida on Friday is expected to stall just north of Lake Okeechobee, but showers associated with the system are forecast to mostly impact more inland areas of Palm Beach County.
Rain chances are low both today and Friday with just a 3 percent chance tonight and 7 percent chance Friday night.