Hurricane center: System has higher chance of becoming tropical depression

Forecasters Monday evening said a nearly stationary area of low pressure about 700 miles west-southwest of the Cape Verde island chain could become a tropical depression later this week.

The system still is thousands of miles from the U.S. mainland, and would not be a threat until next week, if ever.

In its 8 p.m. tropical weather update, the National Hurricane Center said the chance of formation in the next five days still was 70 percent, but upped the chance of formation in the next two days from 30 percent to 40 percent, and from low chances to medium.

“Gradual development of this system is likely,” hurricane center forecaster John Cangialosi said in an advisory. “The disturbance is expected to begin moving west-northwestward in a day or so, and it should continue moving in that direction through the remainder of the week.”

 

 

Reader Comments 0

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS